Downtown Brooklyn Partnership (DBP) is a not-for-profit local development corporation that serves as the primary champion for Downtown Brooklyn as a world-class business, cultural, educational, residential, and retail destination. Working together with the three business improvement districts (BID) that it manages – the MetroTech BID, Fulton Mall Improvement Association, and Court-Livingston-Schermerhorn BID – the Partnership’s diverse activities include attracting new businesses and improving the environment for existing companies; facilitating the construction of public spaces and streetscapes that promote an active and cohesive community; supporting and promoting Downtown Brooklyn’s cultural assets; and encouraging a unified sense of place and an engaged civic community.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the President, the Managing Director of Real Estate + Economic Development will oversee all of the DBP’s real estate, commercial attraction, planning, and economic development efforts. The major focus of this position is to implement a strategy to attract new tenants to the greater Downtown Brooklyn area as well as forming strategic partnerships with TAMI tenants to grow Brooklyn’s tech sector.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Manage DBP’s real estate, commercial attraction, planning, and economic development efforts;
• Manage DBP’s online real estate services portfolio, including its annual market report focused exclusively on Downtown Brooklyn to provide better access to key information and attract investment;
• Execute a commercial attraction strategy that showcases the strength of the Downtown Brooklyn and attracts major tenancies to the area;
• Manage all of DBP’s land use policy initiatives including advocating to city and state agencies the need for commercial density bonuses, commercial relocation tax incentives, and exploring rezoning changes in the surrounding area;
• Spearhead DBP’s efforts as neighborhood champion for affordable housing and serve as primary liaison to Brooklyn Department of City Planning;
• Partner with the Board of Directors to develop and oversee all major policy initiatives including the preservation of incentive programs (REAP, ICAP, and Affordable New York Housing program), affordable housing advocacy, and major infrastructure projects (Brooklyn Strand, BQX).
• Forge strong relationships with local elected officials, Brooklyn Community Board 2, NYCHA tenant associations, and Downtown Brooklyn academic institutions.
• Support DBP president in sourcing and engaging with new DBP board members.
Qualified candidates will have the following skills and qualifications:
• 5 to 7 years of experience in real estate development, community based development, brokerage services, real estate finance or related field;
• Significant experience with the NYC development process including understanding of land use changes (ULURP), deal structuring, financing mechanisms, and construction processes;
• Thorough understanding of NYC development programs including Mandatory Inclusionary Housing (MIH), Zoning for Quality and Affordability (ZQA), and Affordable New York Housing Program;
• Familiarity with NYC zoning code and the ability to perform zoning analyses on specific properties as needed;
• Significant industry contacts throughout Brooklyn including but not limited to developers, brokers, & senior city agency employees;
• Expertise with Brooklyn real estate market indicators in all asset classes both for leasing and acquisition;
• Expertise in the needs of potential tenants, particularly TAMI tenants, looking to locate in Brooklyn;
• Strong understanding of real estate financial concepts including pro forma modeling;
• Knowledge of the roles BIDs and economic development corporations play in assisting local businesses and property owners and tools available to spur economic development growth;
• Entrepreneurial and creative, with a strong team spirit and work ethic;
• Exceptional oral and written communications skills and meticulous attention to detail;
• Experience conceptualizing, producing and managing planning projects;
• Experience navigating and presenting at Community Boards;
• Confidence and ability to interact, lead, and support a diverse range of constituents;
• Graduate Degree (Real Estate, Urban Planning, or Business Administration);
Salary commensurate with experience and education
Interested candidates should email cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to [email protected].
Please put “Managing Director of Real Estate and Economic Development” in the subject line.