Downtown Brooklyn Partnership (DBP) is a not-for-profit local development corporation that serves as the primary champion for Downtown Brooklyn as a world-class business, cultural, educational, residential, and retail destination. Working together with the three business improvement districts (BID) that it manages – the MetroTech BID, Fulton Mall Improvement Association, and Court-Livingston-Schermerhorn BID – the Partnership’s diverse activities include attracting new businesses and improving the environment for existing stakeholders; facilitating the construction of public spaces and streetscapes that promote an active and cohesive community; supporting and promoting Downtown Brooklyn’s cultural and civic assets; and encouraging a unified sense of place and an engaged community.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We are seeking a Real Estate and Planning Associate to bring their passion and technical chops to advance DBP’s work. Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Real Estate + Economic Development, this individual will be an integral member of the Real Estate and Economic Development team with a direct hand in promoting Downtown Brooklyn as a premier center of business in New York City. Our ideal candidate excels in project management and quantitative analysis and is eager to roll up their sleeves to help translate DBP’s real estate and commercial attraction vision from concept into reality.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Real Estate Pipeline Analysis & Management
• Managing DBP's master real estate database of all properties;
• Tracking all existing, new, and planned development projects in Downtown Brooklyn;
• Tracking all available office and retail spaces and changes in tenancy in Downtown Brooklyn;
• Collecting and synthesizing demographic data for Downtown Brooklyn;
• Managing and updating Downtown Brooklyn real estate metrics including commercial and residential prices per square foot, vacancy rates, absorption rates, and construction costs;
• Supporting DBP finance and operations team in management, analysis, and leasing of DBP’s assets (e.g. building management, concessionaires, etc);
• Coordinating BID assessment tracking, collection, and remittance between DBP, district property owners, and the City of New York.
Business Attraction & Retention
• Assisting prospective businesses in understanding the Downtown Brooklyn market – including various as-of-right tax incentive programs and business improvement district grants and services;
• Engaging commercial real estate brokers, businesses, and other key stakeholders to attract new office, retail, and entertainment uses in Downtown Brooklyn;
• Conducting stakeholder interviews and building relationships with new and existing office, retail, and hospitality businesses in the district;
• Identifying strategic opportunities to assist local merchants and through new or enhanced services and programs;
• Supporting DBP's commercial attraction campaigns and preparing Downtown Brooklyn Real Estate Market Reports and promotional materials in collaboration with the Senior Director of Real Estate + Planning and DBP’s Marketing department.
Planning & Development
• Assisting DBP board members in navigating necessary City approvals;
• Serving as an in-house zoning, economic development, and real estate expert for various planning and real estate projects;
• Representing DBP at community meetings, inter-agency planning meetings, real estate conferences, broker events, and business development events;
• Fostering and managing relationships with real estate developers, brokers, government agencies, consultants, elected officials and community stakeholders.
• 3+ years (or equivalent with graduate degree) of proven work experience in real estate, economic development, finance, urban planning, property / assessment management, or related field;
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate degree (Real Estate, Urban Planning, or Business Administration) preferable;
• Strong passion for urban planning, real estate, land use, and/or neighborhood development;
• Exceptional skills in quantitative analysis and creative problem-solving;
• Excellent project management and organizational skills, with ability to independently manage multiple tasks and timetables while meeting deadlines;
• Excellent oral and written communications skills and meticulous attention to detail;
• Strong relationship-builder --outgoing, friendly, and customer service oriented;
• Familiarity with NYC zoning code and able to assist performing zoning analyses;
• Required software skills: Microsoft Excel and Office Suite, Property Shark, Digital Tax Maps;
• Preferred software skills: ArcGIS.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
Interested candidates should email the items below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Real Estate + Planning Associate.”
• Resume and cover letter describing your interest in and fit for the role;
• Salary requirements;
• Work samples (optional).
Downtown Brooklyn Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse workplace representative of Brooklyn’s strengths and the people we serve. DBP strongly encourages applications from qualified minority and women candidates.