The Director of Finance (Housing) is a senior financial position responsible for the timely and accurate communication of affiliate-related housing fiscal information while ensuring the integrity of the financial compliance processes and systems for all housing-affiliated corporations.
The Director of Finance (Housing) accomplishes these tasks by monitoring the regulatory compliance of all affiliated housing entities including Housing Development Fund Companies (HDFCs) and affiliated Limited Liability Companies (LLC’s), and by communicating with stakeholders including investors, affiliate Boards, staff, government agencies, service providers such as Catholic Charities Community Services of the Archdiocese of New York (CCCS), property management agents and legal counsel.
The Housing-related entities of the Archdiocese include the Association of NY Catholic Homes (ANYCH), which provides oversight to Archdiocesan-related housing companies and the NY Institute for Human Development (IHD), which aids in the creation, survival, and growth of community-based organizations through a broad range of technical assistance, consulting services and financial support. The Archdiocesan-related housing program includes twelve (12) HDFC’s which own and manage more than 2,200 low income housing units. In addition, approximately 1,000 units of low income family and senior housing units throughout the Archdiocese are under construction or in the pipeline for development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Communicate ANYCH / Catholic Charities Housing-related fiscal information:
- Contracting with CCCS Finance (Controller’s Group and Federation Support) through its Business Services Agreement, the Director of Finance (Housing) will develop and monitor budgets, forecasts, cash flows and variance reports providing such information to Committees and Boards of IHD and ANYCH.
- Monitor and maintain analyses (and schedules) of financial obligations (such as developer’s fees, guarantee and other related LIHTC financial transactions), commitments, construction projects and their cash flows.
In coordination with the Senior Compliance Manager, ensure the integrity of financial compliance processes and systems for Housing-related entities including HDFCs and LLCs:
- Document, maintain, analyze, review and present quarterly the master “Housing Financial Summary,” report for the IHD Housing portfolio and all affiliate housing corporations.
- Monitor, report, and ensure timely: (1) processing and payments to and from capital accounts (2) preparation of monthly operations, and property management reports including budget comparisons and (3) preparation of quarterly affordable housing summary reports on operations.
- Coordinate, monitor and report on Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) financial transactions. Compare actual financial information with original pro forma projections.
- Coordinate and review with property management senior staff, the development of annual budgets for the affordable housing portfolio, cross referencing yearly real estate taxes and general liability insurances escrows are accurately projected.
- Assure timely completion and approval of annual audits, tax returns, compilations.
- Review and assess internal controls of the housing related entities.
Track projects in their various phases of Development (pre-development, under construction, operating):
- Monitor and process predevelopment expenditures in connection with Affordable Housing Projects: reviewing contracts, invoices and maintaining budgets; assembling all documentation for repayment at closing.
- Track construction requisitions managed by financial advisors for new construction.
- Monitor and process expenses for predevelopment loans; review invoices, log into tracker and submit monthly to lender.
Other assignments and special projects as required:
- Support the activities and efforts of the Senior Compliance Manager.
- Review and understanding of financial consultant products (loans, tax assessments)
- Ad hoc accounting, compliance and operational assignments.
Significant Working Relationships:
- Primarily Housing Staff, Management Companies, Affiliate Boards, Executive Committees, consultants, auditors, attorneys and CCCS fiscal staff.
- Stakeholders including investors, HDFC Boards / staff and government agencies.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5-10 years Finance / Accounting experience
- Housing-related experience
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
Excellent analytical, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to draw important observations from financial reports to identify opportunities and inconsistencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office and accounting applications.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Attention to details.
- Self starter, team player and independent worker.
- CPA and auditing experience (Considered A Plus)
To Apply for this Position:
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Catholic Charities Community Services
1011 First Avenue, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10022