The New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD) is the nation’s largest municipal housing preservation and development agency. Its mission is to promote quality housing and diverse, thriving neighborhoods for New Yorkers through loan and development programs for new affordable housing, preservation of the affordability of the existing housing stock, enforcement of housing quality standards, and educational programs for tenants and building owners. HPD is tasked with fulfilling the Mayor’s Housing New York: A Five-Borough Ten-Year Plan to create and preserve 200,000 affordable units for New Yorkers at the very lowest incomes to those in the middle class.
The Associate Commissioner for New Construction will oversee HPD’s financing of the construction of new supportive, multifamily, single-family, and mixed use affordable housing on both public and private sites through management of two divisions, New Construction Finance (NCF) and Special Needs Housing (SNH), and their constituent programs.
The Associate Commissioner will work directly with the heads of NCF and SNH, in close coordination with other divisions within the Office of Development and across HPD, and in partnership with the New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC), the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA), the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), and other City, state, and federal agencies on Requests for Proposals, pre-development, and co-financing for such projects. The Associate Commissioner will have primary responsibility for managing engagement and negotiations with developers, lenders, and other development partners from the private and non-profit sectors. The Associate Commissioner will help to shape the Agency’s efforts to house the formerly homeless by developing policy, programmatic, and financing strategies. The Associate Commissioner will contribute to and at times lead development of agency strategy and public policy on such topics as broadening and deepening affordability, supporting affordable homeownership, and expanding the City’s support of mixed-use, mixed-income projects.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of new construction programs to meet the goals of Housing New York and other initiatives.
- Directing staff implementing the NCF and SNH financing programs and operations.
- Overseeing coordination with multiple internal divisions as well as numerous outside lending and program partners.
- Managing coordinated housing production targets and associated budgets to meet the new construction goals of the Housing New York plan.
- Strengthening the new construction project pipeline, including creation of new programs and tools to address changing City priorities.
- Fielding and responding to inquiries, both internal and external, about HPD’s new construction activities. As part of this effort, the Associate Commissioner will be responsible for prioritizing potential issues and making sound recommendations to the Deputy Commissioner and, as necessary, the HPD Commissioner.
- Ensuring cost-effectiveness in subsidy programs by leading efforts to implement finance and production protocols to ensure efficient use of public subsidies in combination with available incentives.
- Fostering innovation in the creation of new financing models and deal structures to advance the goals of Housing New York and other policy priorities.
- Contributing to the development, implementation, and tracking of strategic plans for the Office of Development and the Agency.
- Contributing to the development, implementation, and tracking of affordable housing policy for the Office of Development and the Agency.
- Other responsibilities and initiatives as may be required to ensure the success of NCF and SNH, the Office of Development, and the Agency.
The position requires a strong background in real estate finance, with experience in community development a plus. All candidates should have:
- Extensive knowledge of financial tools and theory as well as facility in the use and analysis of financial models
- Extensive knowledge of affordable housing policy and programs at city, state and federal levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and quantitative abilities
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Strong track record of working with the affordable housing development industry. New York City affordable housing experience a plus.
How to Apply:
Please go online and apply at www.nyc.gov/careers . Search for JOB ID# 311439
City Employees: Apply through the Employee Self Service portal (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess. Search for JOB ID# 311439
Salary range for this position is: $144,000 - $154,000
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
NYC residency required